The current impact of COVID-19 on the Agriculture Sector
Notes from discussion with County Farm Centre:
- Falling commodity prices for corn and soybeans, especially corn due to zero demand for ethanol/gas.
- Many farmers in The County booked their crop prices back in the fall, so are unaffected by low prices for now.
- Local slowdowns on delivery of critical fertilizer, fuel and other inputs have not been as bad as anticipated.
- $.70 CAD dollar has been very good at keeping things somewhat profitable for Canadian Farmers compared to U.S. farmers.
- Spring weather has been very cooperative for planting preparation in early May, critical for good yield & profitability for local farmers.